3 Key Necessities: Essential Features for E Prescription
E Prescription (E-Prescribe): the computer-predicated automatic generation, transfer, and filling of prescriptions. Acts as a substitute for hand-written orders, faxes, or calls and touches on the future enhancements in healthcare technology.
E Prescription has provided the most essential element for emphasizing on meaningful use. Though one might consider the rapid growth of technology in healthcare a factor towards E-Prescribing's growing popularity, it’s actually due to the substantial benefits patients and providers receive through its use.
But with so many benefits to discuss, what are the main features the healthcare community emphasizes the most, and what will help provide the most beneficial elements through E-Prescribing?
Improving efficiency, accuracy within adherence, cost savings, and overall maximizing efforts geared towards patient care make up the gold-standard we hold E Prescription to.
There is a plethora of issues that E-Prescribing solves. And a focus on patient safety should be #1 on the list. The Patient Advocate Pharmacy share correlating views on the matter, highlighting the amount of error E-Prescribing solves within the industry,
” Avoidable errors associated with handwritten prescriptions can include selection of an incorrect or unavailable drug or dosage, duplication of therapy, omission of information, and misinterpretation of the order due to illegible handwriting.”
E-Prescribing has been found to reduce adverse drug events related to medication prescriptions and filling error rates decreased from 42.5 per 100 prescriptions to only 6.6 per 200 prescriptions. This is a tremendous jump that notes in comparison to human error, E-prescribing systems are operating at a much more efficient and precise rate.
Aside from technical issues, physicians can use E-prescribing to track how many controlled substance prescriptions a patient has received. This reduces over-prescription and enhances patient safety odds.
E-Prescribing also allows physicians to counsel patients on medication management in the case that they might forget to pick up or file a prescription. Providers gain insight into the frequency with which patients are filling prescriptions for controlled substances, making it easier to spot potential drug abuse.
While E-Prescribing may take a few seconds longer than writing out a prescription, providers spend less time clarifying issues. Utilizing features that show prior authorization and refill requests, the software can run thorough checks without involvement of the patient or pharmacy.
Analyzing the major administrative problems physicians and clinical staff face, is the need to respond to prescription refill requests. E Prescription enables providers to review, authorize and transmit 20-30 refill authorizations in a matter of seconds.
Another key factor some E-Prescribing systems offer is the ability integrate with an Electronic Medical Record system. With this integration, many physicians find the streamlined process a major advantage to the overall workflow of the organization. This has shown to provide some of the biggest advantages to technological healthcare – having a system that takes all patient and practice info into one unit.
E-Prescribing systems have shown to give providers the ability to seamlessly send electronic prescriptions for controlled substances to pharmacies within the same workflow. This feature creates more efficiency through supporting medication adherence and increases convenience for patients.
Along with adherence, E-prescribing can allow providers to choose cheaper alternatives to prescriptions for patients by eliminating bias. Reputable research journal Perspectives in Health Information Management discusses the hype behind E-Prescribing’s benefits towards revenue and patient care:
“…substitution of generic medications or less costly formulary alternatives can reduce the cost to patients and insurance companies.”
Cost savings is mentioned within medication adherence because of the large amount of revenue saved as a direct result of increased medical adherence. To help measure savings E-Prescribing can provide, SureScripts analysis projected $140 to $240 billion in savings over the course of 10 years for a practice. Not only does this mean a reduction in cost but it promotes overall better health and best use within clients being prescribed.
E Prescription with InSync Healthcare Solutions
Understanding the major benefits within E-Prescribing are simple enough to agree with. But surprisingly not many systems have homed in on these aspects that the healthcare industry desires.
InSync Healthcare Solutions has operated within the IT healthcare industry long enough to fully grasp and recognize the needs from practices throughout various specialties. In turn, specifically emphasizing those problems and creating an E Prescription service touches on patient safety, cost savings, medical adherence, and more within a completely configurable EMR system.
Some Features Within InSync's E-Prescribing:
- Enhancement Capability: We own our own system, which gives us the ability to place any enhancements and deal with any issues directly - without having to rely on a 3rd party system being embedded into our program.
- Eligibility and Formulary Checks: Providers will be able to see, as their prescribing medication, the patient’s insurance status. This enables them to prescribe the most effective, cost-efficient medication based on a patient’s financial and insurance status.
- Medication History: This feature enables providers to see all medications a patient has been taking. This prevents cross-prescribing and lowers the risk of drug abuse.
- EPCS: Providers will be able to electronically order heavy narcotics after completing our authenticating procedure. A secure code will be sent to the provider’s phone, after which they will give vocal confirmation—and then the medication can be prescribed.
- ePA: This allows for direct communication between providers and their patients’ insurance company. The goal is to improve patient satisfaction: they’ll be prescribed the right medication, the first time, resulting in less time spent in follow-up visits.
- RTPB: Generated through our in-practice price estimator, this tool will give both provider and patient a to-the-penny estimation of the cost of the prescription.
- APPRISS Integration for PMDP Checking: Though state-specific, this feature helps ensure that patients aren’t double-prescribed for heavy narcotics and prevents patients from “shopping around”
Want to learn more about what InSync Healthcare Solutions software has to offer? CLICK BELOW!